Saturday, August 8, 2009

Puerto Viejo

We finished our time at Boca Chica...left this morning on a short bus ride to Puerto Viejo (our 3rd time here). We are at hostel Pagalu which the head biologist at Boca Chica recommended and got us a spot in. Overall I had a good time at Boca Chica...it rained almost thewhole time! but I guess thats what makes it green. I had two shifts night patrolling the beaches where I didn't see a turtle but saw a pencil thin snake, an owl, crabs, and leaf cutter ants all over the trailswhich clung to our shoes. I also had one shift guarding the turtle hatchery from 6am to noon. A nationalpark worker came by and spotted a howler monkey in the tree which he showed me and a sloth which took about 15 minutes for me to finally see. There was a mom and daughter pair from Calgary Canada and they were really fun... played cards and yahtzee with them a lot.
We went to playa negra the other day which is a black sand beach and to Cahuita the last two days. We tried to snorkel in Cahuita yesterday at one of only 2 live reefs in costa rica but unfortunately there was no clarity so we called it quits. We bought our bus tickets for San Jose tomorrow and then we are headed to the Pacific Coast monday where we will be at a turtle conservation project in Montezuma for a few weeks we hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment