Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Wrap Up

First of all I want to thank those of you who took the time to read my blog. However, even if it was only Cobey and my mom I think I´ll enjoy having this blog to personally look back on and remember the details of my trip that tend to fade with time. I know that it may have gotten exhausting reading such LONG blogs... and I understand if you skipped some because I tend to struggle reading things like that where people exhaust the details of their lives... so I apologize for being one of those people.

ANYWAYS moving on... I am just going to wrap up this trip... on my last day... just half a day from getting on the plane and flying back home.... with some final thoughts on what this trip has been to me. I´ve never done this sort of thing on my own and although I spent 4 college years a solid 8 hours from home, it is somewhat different being SO FAR from home and in an entirely different culture for such an extended period of time. It was pretty tough mentally after the initial novelty of being in costa rica wore off and realizing we had 3 MONTHS here, 89 days and nights... i wish i could puncuate this blog better unfortunately the question mark, exclamation mark, parenthesis, quotations, and other such puncuations we take for granted do not work on this key board so bare with me and you´ll have to imagine what puncuation I would use in a given situation. ANYWAYS... so we were pretty nervous about the length of time.. thank goodness Romelia came to our rescue and it was a place we found that not only was what we had hope for and more from the turtle volunteering aspect, but also amazing in its natural beauty and began to truly feel like home. Who knew a place with no electricity, warm running water, or walls could feel like home.

I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to do this experience, that I jumped on the opportunity, and that I stuck through to the end. I think it changed me in so many ways: my maturity, independence, work ethic, and just outlook on life in general. I know now how many things in my life I dont depend on like my phone, my ipod, and any other material item as well as refrigeration apparently haha. However, I also realized what I DO depend on: and thats my home, my family, and people around me that are just a joy to be around. I had the time of my life in central america but I am SO excited to go home now. I´m looking forward to being able to flush my toilet paper, drink FREE and CLEAN tapwater, pick my own music, drive my own car, have a home cooked meal without rice and beans in it, have more than 5 outfits to choose from, not have to wear bug repellent and sunscreen, and i´m sure a million other things that just havent popped in my head yet. However I will miss a few things such as gallo pinto in the morning, the amazing coffee, Federicos tours, spades with my good buddies at Romelia, Sano Banano movie nights, getting amazing pastries for 50 cents at Mus Manni, GETTING AWAY with only wearing 5 oufits and grungy headbands all the time, my tan, tico time, laying in hammocks all day, handling turtles eggs like its no big deal, and handwashing my clothes...NOT.... Again im sure there are tons more that will pop in my head later.

WELL I guess that about does it for now. Again... it was an amazing experience. I´d like to give props to cass and i for being together every second for three straight months and not killing each other... although of course we had our differences and disagreements. I think it takes a special dynamic to get along the way we have traveling together. And again... I would REALLy like to thank those of you who were devoted blog readers of mine... cough Cobey and my mom cough... and hopefully others hehe

OH and I almost forgot... I have to give a shout out to the MVP of the trip... 3 dollars and 7 years later and my blue Taz flip flops were still able to make the long, rocky trek back and forth from montezuma 60 + odd times... Hung on by the skin of the heel... literally


So I´ll say a final Peace and PURA VIDA

Hay

No comments:

Post a Comment